Sweet Corn, Mango and Black Bean Salsa
Bring a little Miami heat to the table with this delicious alternative to traditional salsa by Chef Michelle Bernstein—Azul Restaurant, Miami. For an easy and crowd-pleasing appetizer or snack, whip up a batch of this fresh corn salsa. With a healthy helping of fresh corn, avocado, and black beans it’s perfect for a gathering of friends and family or even an after school snack for kids!
Chef Michelle Bernstein—Azul Restaurant, Miami
- 2 ears Sunshine Sweet corn, husked
- 1 can (19 ounces) black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 mango, peeled, pitted and cubed (about 1 cup)
- 3 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 thinly sliced green onion (scallion)
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
Preheat outdoor grill or broiler. Grill or broil corn, turning occasionally, until some kernels turn golden brown, 10 to 12 minutes; cool. Using a sharp knife, cut corn off cobs (makes about 1-1/4 cups). In a medium-sized bowl, combine corn kernels with black beans, mango, lime juice, olive oil, green onion, jalapeno and salt. Serve with grilled or roasted meats, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): about 3 cups