Sweet Corn and Bean Quinoa Salad
Super healthy and extra delicious, this corn and quinoa salad makes a filling dish for lunch or dinner. Leave out the shrimp and you’ve got a great dish for vegetarians and vegans alike.
- 3 cups fresh sweet corn kernels (4 medium Sunshine Sweet ears)
- 3 cups cooked and cooled quinoa*
- 1 can (15 ounces) black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup diced red and green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced scallions
- 8 ounces cooked salad shrimp, or 2 cups cooked chicken, smoked turkey, or ham cut into 1/2 inch cubes (optional)
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 3 tablespoons cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup minced fresh cilantro leaves
In a large bowl, toss corn, quinoa, beans, peppers, onion, scallions, and shrimp (if using). To make the vinaigrette, in a sealable container, combine olive oil, vinegar, mustard, sugar, salt and pepper; shake until the mixture thickens, about 60 seconds. Pour the vinaigrette over the quinoa mixture and toss to combine. Just before serving, sprinkle with the cilantro. Garnish with halved cherry tomatoes, or serve on a bed of greens, if desired.
Number of servings (yield): 4 to 6 portions
*Prepare with 1 cup uncooked quinoa, according to package directions.